Cobb County Government
alert2 This is an archived version of the Cobb County Government website as of November 8, 2018 and may contain outdated information.

We invite you to visit our new site at

Frequently Asked Questions

 Please click or tap on your desired question. The answer will appear underneath the question. 
Can I get a continuance on my court date from my citation?
Continuances are granted through the Magistrate Court; you may call 770-528-8900 to request a citation court-date continuance. Click Here to view the Cobb County Magistrate Court’s website.


Can I pay my citation online?
Most citations may be paid online, no later than one week before the court date. Visit for more information.


I’m a tenant in a rental home/apartment and I need to report a property maintenance code violation. What can I do?
Landlords must abide by the GA Property Maintenance Code, mandated by the state. Problems relating to the health and safety of the occupants may be reported to the Nuisance Abatement Specialist at 770-528-2044.


Can the county do something about mud in the streets?
Citizens, contractors, developers etc. can request an on-site visit/inspection to determine the cause by calling Erosion Control at 770-528-2190.


Water runoff on my property from overflowing drains or my neighbor’s down spouts is damaging my property; can the county help me?
Citizens can request county involvement. To find out more information please contact, Please the Erosion Control office at 770-528-2190.


Is the county responsible for removing trees, brush and related debris from creeks, streams and other waterways?
If applicable, Erosion Inspectors may be scheduled for an on-site inspection to investigate the problem and recommend a course of action. Please call our office at 770-528-2190 for more information.


What can I do to minimize eroding stream banks?
Please contact Erosion Control at 770-528-2190 for information on how to stabilize your stream banks.


Red mud is running into nearby retention ponds, lakes or other waterways in my neighborhood. Can the county help curb the problem?
For information regarding this matter please contact the Erosion Control office at 770-528-2190.


What is exempt from permitting?
  1. One-story detached accessory structures used as tool and storage sheds, playhouses and similar uses, provided that the floor area does not exceed 200 sq. ft. is not on a permanent foundation, has no electrical, plumbing , HVAC or gas connections, is at least 5 feet from all property boundaries and is less than 35 feet in height. (There may be Zoning stipulations associated with your property that may impose further limitations on detached structures. Please contact the Zoning Division at 770-528-2035 for this information prior to starting your project.)
  2. Fences (However, there are height limitations for fences so please contact the Zoning Division at 770-528-2035 for this information prior to starting your project)
  3. Retaining walls that are not over 30 inches in height measured from the bottom of the footing to the top of the wall, unless supporting a surcharge such as a driveway or other permanent structure.
  4. Sidewalks and driveways. Sidewalks can not be poured within the ROW. If you are proposing adding or relocating a driveway you must obtain approval from the Department of Transportation at 770-528-1600.
  5. Painting, papering, tiling, carpeting, cabinets, counter tops and other finish work.
  6. Prefabricated swimming pools that are less than 24 inches deep.
  7. Swings and other playground equipment.
  8. Window awnings supported by an exterior wall which do not project more than 54 inches from the exterior wall and do not require additional support.
  9. Exterior wall covering such as siding, fascia and cornice work.
  10. Roofing - shingle replacement only.


Can a homeowner obtain a permit?
A homeowner can obtain permits to do work on the home in which they reside only. The homeowner must be the one performing work on site.
The homeowner must provide:
  • Proof of Ownership of Home
  • Knowledge of water/sewer or septic, if septic: read next question

If work is performed on the exterior of house or on another area of the property, the Homeowner must also provide a platt showing the changes being made to the property prior to the permit issuance.


Are there any additional requirements for obtaining building permits if my home is on a septic tank?
Fees associated with a land disturbance permit are as follows: Yes, approval must be obtained from the Environmental Health Division of the Cobb & Douglas Board of Health prior to applying for a building permit of any kind. Stand-alone electrical, plumbing or HVAC work does not require their review and approval.
Environmental Health Division Contact Information:
*Includes Apartment, Condominium and Townhome projects.